Exterol 5% Ear Drops 8ml
Read more about this product »
- Warnings & Precautions
Exterol 5% Ear Drops
Exterol ear drops contain the active ingredient urea hydrogen peroxide, which helps to soften ear wax.
Urea hydrogen peroxide works to soften ear wax by releasing oxygen which breaks up hardened wax, it also has some antiseptic properties.
Ear wax is a normal secretion of the ear. It is produced to provide a protective layer in the ear and on the ear drum. There are times when too much wax is produced. This can result in hearing difficulties and may cause pain.
A hard plug of wax can be softened using Exterol ear drops. Wax can also be removed by your doctor or practice nurse, by flushing the ear with warm water (syringing). If there is a lot of wax or the wax is very hard, it may need to be softened first and Exterol ear drops can also be used for this.
- People with ear pain should always seek medical advice before using this medicine.
- Do not stick anything into the ear, such as cottonbuds, to remove wax.
- Exterol ear drops should be disposed of four weeks after opening.
Not to be used in
- Perforated ear drum.
- Inflammation and infection of the outer part of the ear canal (otitis externa).
- Inflammatory skin conditions such as eczema and seborrhoeic dermatitis on the outer ear.
- People who have had their ears syringed in the past two or three days.
This medicine should not be used if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have previously experienced such an allergy.
If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.
- There are no known harmful effects when this medicine is used by pregnant or breastfeeding mothers.
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Just because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
- Mild irritation and bubbling sensation in the ear after using the drops.
- Pain and discomfort in the ear.
- Unpleasant taste (very rarely).
For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
How can this medicine affect other medicines?
These ear drops are not known to affect other medicines.