Crystacide Cream 1% 40g
Read more about this product »
- Patient Information
Crystacide Cream 1%
Crystacide Cream 1% is a treatment for superficial skin infections caused by organisms that are sensitive to hydrogen peroxide, a potent medicine that is effective against many types of bacteria including Staphylococcus Aureus, the commonest cause of infection in wounds and burns. It is also commonly used to treat impetigo and atopic eczema that have become infected.
The active ingredient in Crystacide Cream 1% is hydrogen peroxide 1% in a lipid stabilised base which works by destroying the cells of the organisms and is effective against some fungi and viruses, as well as bacteria. There has been a considerable increase in resistance to some antibiotics used in the treatment of skin infections, but Crystacide Cream 1% does not contain an antibiotic and there are no known organisms which have developed resistance to hydrogen peroxide.
- Apply 2-3 times a day, or when needed, to the affected areas.
- If a waterproof plaster is used, one application a day may be sufficient.
- A dry film may appear on the skin after application; this can easily be washed off with water.
- Active Ingredient: Hydrogen Peroxide in a concentration of 1% w/w.
- Other Ingredients: Glyceryl Monolaurate, Glyceryl Monomyristate, Macrogol Stearate 5000, Propylene Glycol, Anhydrous Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Sulphuric Acid, Sodium Oxalate, Salicylic Acid, Disodium Edetate, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Sodium Stannate and Purified Water.
- If an improvement is not noticed within a few days, or if the infection appears to be getting worse, consult your doctor.
- Crystacide Cream 1% is for external use only.
- Salicylic acid may cause allergic dermatitis which is an itchy red rash.
- Propylene glycol may also cause skin irritation.
- Crystacide Cream 1% should not be used on large or deep wounds and should not be applied to healthy skin.
- Take care to avoid contact with the eyes. If it should accidentally get into your eyes, wash it out immediately with plenty of cold water.
- Hydrogen peroxide, the active substance in your cream, can bleach fabrics.
- If you know you are sensitive or allergic to any of the ingredients.
- In the presence of iodine, permanganate and other strong oxidising agents.
- If you are using or have recently used any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
- If you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant, are planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
Patient Information Leaflet