Everyone wants soft, supple, healthy looking skin, and whether you suffer from a specific condition like eczema or are just prone to a little more dryness than you’d like, E45 is here to help. We’ve a wide range of products perfect for keeping your skin looking and feeling its best, and we’ve plenty of handy advice too. Just click through this section for lots more skincare information and ideas.
Since the 1950s, E45 has helped millions of people around the world take care of their skin. As dry skin specialists with a great range of products to choose from, we’ve all you need to keep your skin looking and feeling healthy – whether you’ve a skin condition like eczema or you just need a little extra moisture to keep your skin at its soft, supple best.
It’s simple. In today’s over-crowded beauty market, full of increasingly hi-tech-sounding lotions and potions, E45’s trusted formulas offer an easy, effective way to keep your skin soft and healthy.
Everyday dry skin
Even if you’re not suffering from a specific skin condition like eczema, dermatitis or psoriasis, everyday dryness can leave your skin feeling less than comfortable. E45’s renowned as a dry skin specialist, and we’re here to give you some quick, comforting care.
Children and babies often have fairly dry skin as it produces less natural oils. In fact, in the UK, one in five children have uncomfortably dry skin or eczema
Atopic eczema affects one in eight children, and almost 30% of all new-born babies could potentially develop it. It usually starts in young babies who have dry, itchy cheeks, then moves down the body to affect areas like the backs of the knees and inside of elbows. If it’s more severe, the whole body could be affected.
While it can be upsetting to see your child constantly scratching, the E45 range has plenty of ideas for soothing their dry skin, and there’s lots you can do around the home to make things more comfortable too.
What should we avoid?
Some of the things we come into contact with everyday can trigger or aggravate dry skin and eczema. Follow the tips below to make your home as skin-friendly as possible…
Avoid dressing children in woolly clothes, as it can make skin hot and itchy. Cotton clothes will let their skin breathe
Bed linen makes a difference too – choose cotton sheets and covers, and avoid pillows or duvets that contain feathers
Keep bedrooms cool as being too hot can make itching worse. In warmer weather, try placing a saucer of water in the room to keep some moisture in the air
Choose non-biological washing powders and fabric conditioners
Fur and feathers can aggravate eczema, so keep pets out of the house where possible
House dust mites can make eczema flare up, so try to keep dust to a minimum
Sometimes, dairy foods like milk and eggs could be making skin conditions worse – ask your doctor or dietician if you think this might be the case
Avoid soap and fragranced bubble bath, as these can be really drying. E45’s got some great alternatives
What else can we do?
- When the temptation becomes unbearable, encourage children to pat or rub their skin rather than scratch. Keep their fingernails short too, to minimise the damage they’ll do when they do scratch.
- Eczema can make life pretty miserable for your child, especially if the nights are warm and they’re finding their itchy skin makes it difficult to get to sleep. So as well as keeping their skin moisturised and knowing what to avoid, try to stay positive too. Even very young children will be able to tell if you’re worried, and although it may sound odd, stress can actually cause skin to flare up even more.
- The above applies at school as well. If itchy skin and sleepless nights are making it hard for your child to concentrate, it’s worth having a word with their teacher to explain.
- It’s also important to try and keep things peaceful at home. Be aware that if one child in the family has eczema, others can easily get jealous of the extra attention they’re getting. To keep everyone happy, make an extra effort to spend time with other children on their own.
Central heating, air conditioning, severe weather, pollution – you put your skin through its paces every day, probably without even realising it. And if you’re prone to dry skin, the elements can really play havoc with your complexion. That’s why it’s essential to have a good skincare regime, especially as you get older, because your skin can often become drier with age.
- Dirt and make-up can clog your pores, so thorough cleansing is vital. Try E45 Facial Purifying Cleansing Milk for a gentle, delicate solution, Freshening Creamy Wash for a reviving, invigorating sensation or Hydrating Cleansing Wipes for on-the-go convenience.
- Avoid using soap, as this often aggravates dry skin and can leaving it feeling uncomfortable and tight.
- Using the right product can work wonders, by boosting your skin’s circulation as well as cleansing and purifying.
- Enriching Day Cream keeps your skin hydrated for 12 hours, boosting moisture all day long.
- E45’s brand new range, E45 Facial, has been specially designed to combat dry skin, leaving it soft and smooth.
- Perfect for your twice-daily routine, our moisturisers and cleansers offer continuous hydration to keep your complexion healthy and glowing.